Friday, June 21, 2013

Five Quick Q's with Faculty Member Breton Tyner-Bryan

What made you decide to pursue dance professionally?

Enough people told me not to :) -- Breton Tyner-Bryan

photo Steven Trumon Gray

I think my heart would jump out of my chest and run away, if I were not to dance. When I was 8 years old I got to perform for the first time in a huge opera house. I didn't want to leave the stage, I think I actually stayed beyond my cues. I knew then that I wanted to feel that way for the rest of my life....

To me dance is a science, a brilliant language where beauty and function meet. In a studio, on a stage, it's the one place where I can truly express all facets of myself. I don't think I would get out of bed in the morning for anything else.




Why New York?
I love the rush and hustle of NYC. At this point in my career I really wanted and needed to be around artist that value dance as much as I do. I feel that everyone in NYC is passionately pursuing their area of expertise. I love being around that energy.
photo Afshin Odabaee

What made you decide to teach the Peridance Certificate Program?
I enjoy teaching dancers of all ages and levels, but truly love working with dancers on the cusp of their professional careers. I feel I have a lot to offer because I am still performing, and not that far from what my students are experiencing.




Any advice for the graduating seniors?
No one can stop you from being amazing. Enjoy being truly who you are, there is much power there. BE YOURSELF.

Aside from dancing, what do you enjoy doing?
I'm a type A workaholic, but I have a lot of interests outside of dance. I like to paint and sew, I'm always learning new languages. I want to fly planes one day, I love to sail and be on the water. I'm a very visual person, and appreciate anything with design.

The above interview of Peridance Certificate Program instructor is by Tina Wang, graduate of the Certificate Program Ballet/Contemporary Track, Class of 2013.

Scholarship auditions for the Certificate Program are this weekend! Learn more below, and encourage a friend to apply!

Annual Certificate Program Scholarship Audition

 

No comments: